Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Age not good for marriage in Chinese tradition?

I am a chinese living in Indonesia. In my town, people say that it's not good to get married at the age of 29. (The age here refers to the chinese age, and related to shio, so for example, if you are born in 1981 and your shio is rooster, thus in 2009 your age is considered 29 instead of 28).


Do you all have ever heard about this? What about in the other Asian countries? Do chinese people there also have this kind of opinion? Need your opinion and view.Age not good for marriage in Chinese tradition?
Both of my parents were chinese who lived in Indonesia, but they both emigrated to the United States as adults. My mom was a 7th generation chinese living in Jakarta. My dad was a 2nd generation chinese living in Medan. He got married at age 29 (my mom was 25). They just celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary, and are happily married still. My brother and I are both doctors.





Chinese have so many superstitions and traditions. But rarely are they based on anything real. If you've found the right person, and are at a good time and place to get married, then go for it. Who cares about your age?Age not good for marriage in Chinese tradition?
I think that you're buying into superstition. I'm a Monkey and my husband is a Horse. We're not supposed to go well together. But we do... very very well.





Whether your marriage works or not is based on communication, willingness to solve problems, as well as picking the right person to begin with. If it doesn't work, Zodiac is a lazy excuse. When marriages don't work it's because YOU did something wrong, not because you were born in a particular year. You are responsible for the outcome of your own life.
I agree with Politically Correct.





Don't worry about the traditions. The world is getting all mixed up anyways. There will always be people who will talk and try to ruin your day.





You just have to steer away from those and do what feels right for you.





29 is a really great age to get married. My friends are all thinking about getting married around that age, if not older. And some of them are chinese/vietnamese. The life span of people is increrasing and the middle age is shifting. So the ';traditional age'; doesn't matter.





Hope I helped.





Best Wishes =)

No comments:

Post a Comment