Friday, November 25, 2011

How can I best help my daughter and husband with troubled marriage?

My daughter was unfaithful, she says he was shutting her out, and I know it isn't really any of my business. But there are children involved and I just want to do what I can to help them work things out, without sticking my head in where it doesn't belong.How can I best help my daughter and husband with troubled marriage?
Stay out of it. Go to God for help... pray for them. If they ask for your help, be tactful and offer positive advice. Otherwise, stay out.





-- on second thought... you are not a certified counselor. find a counselor for them in their neighborhood (one that is pro marriage and is married themselves) and give those kids the phone number and address.How can I best help my daughter and husband with troubled marriage?
I come at things from an unusual angle but I thought I'd offer it in case it helps.





In these situations I find it helpful to get out of the details and aim for the higher ';why';.





For example, instead of trying to figure out what you should do to help ask yourself why you want to help.





You may find that the ';why'; is that you want your grandchildren to feel loved and supported. That you want your daughter to feel loved and supported, etc.





Then I would focus on how it would feel to be that. How does it feel to love your daughter and support her? How does it feel to be a positive resource for your grandchildren?





If you focus on the why and how that feels you will find yourself totally in the right place at the right time with inspired ideas on what you can do or say that will really be helpful for all involved from a broader perspective.





In the meantime I would do what they call Active Listening where you don't give advice unless you are asked but when they tell you something you are listening so intently that you can and do repeat it back to them such as ';What I hear you are saying is...';





Sometimes just being heard is the best gift anyone can get.
Jesus was asked whether divorce can properly be obtained for just any reason a person might have. He answered by appealing to the original marriage law.





Jesus taught that divorce itself, in general, is contrary to God's will. God made one man for one woman, indicating He did not intend for either to marry anyone else. He said they should cleave to one another and the two become one - there is no room in God's plan for a third party. God joins the man and woman, no human has the right to break that bond.





Further, whoever divorces his wife and marries again commits adultery (unless he does it because she has been guilty of fornication), and whoever marries her who has been divorced also commits adultery. (Mk. 10 adds that this rule also applies to the woman if she divorces her husband.)





To help understand the passage, read it with your name and your spouse's name, instead of ';whosoever,'; etc.





Matthew 19:9 - If ____________ (you) divorces __________ (his wife), except for fornication, and marries another, _________________ (you) commits adultery; and whoever marries ___________ (her who is divorced) commits adultery.';
This is a tough one! I don't know how much you can do - it really will come down to the two of them. However, I do think you should encourage them to seek counseling - maybe offer to help pay for it, if you're that worried?





Good luck!
She acted poorly. So she should accept responsibility. Maybe a marriage counselor would help. You can offer to pay.
Be there for the children and let you daughter and husband work it out.
Offer to take the kids on the weekends. Give them a break for five mintues. they have enough stress.. play with your grand kids and stay out of their business

No comments:

Post a Comment